Why Diversity Matters to Us
We want our bank to be diverse and inclusive: a place where employees, customers and clients feel comfortable and supported in all their diversity.
Diversity drives better business. It is key to our success as an organization and achieving our mission to Build The Better Bank. We believe that fostering a diverse and inclusive environment leads to:
- Stronger relationships with our customers, clients, employees, shareholders and other stakeholders
- Better decision-making
- A more creative workplace
- Attracting and retaining the very best talent
As the demographics of society are changing, we need to continually evolve and ensure that we are reflecting the communities we serve.
Our Diversity Strategy
Our commitment to diversity was heightened in 2008 with a launch of a focused diversity strategy in the U.S., and our commitment to diversity is long-standing in Canada, making diversity a global imperative at TD.
Our diversity program is multi-faceted:
- We have strong diversity leadership at the executive level to oversee our diversity strategy and key priorities.
- We have embedded diversity in our business; for example, our diversity program is aligned with our corporate Guiding Principles and Leadership Profile, and we have action-oriented plans with clear measurement of our progress both in the workplace and in the marketplace.
- Through progressive policies and practices, we are successfully building diversity in our workplace.
- Welcoming customer/client diversity and providing accessible services for all are a fundamental part of achieving our vision to be the better bank.
- Through proactive community involvement, we strive to celebrate and encourage diversity in the community.
At TD Bank, we view diversity as a broad opportunity that cuts across our organization. It’s everyone’s job. And it goes beyond our company walls, which is why we have initiatives targeting customers, clients and community, in addition to employees.
TD Bank’s Diversity Priorities
While diversity by its very definition means everyone, we have established priorities focused on communities of people traditionally underserved in corporate America.
- Expanding leadership opportunities for women
- Expanding leadership opportunities for members of minority groups
- Building an agenda for people with disabilities
- Promoting and enhancing an inclusive environment for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and ally (LGBTA) customers, clients and employees
- Serving diverse communities
An Ongoing Journey
We know that fostering true diversity is a journey. But the strategic payoff, in the end, is business sustainability. In 2008, we began to form our diversity strategy for our growing U.S. operations. We have established a new three-year action plan for 2012-2014, including our priorities for the year.