Small Business Banking
Private Client Group
Personal Financial Services
For the quickest answer, search previously asked questions below. Chances are, others have asked a similar question and there's already an answer waiting for you. If you can't find a match, ask a new question and our team members will answer.
I live in Australia and I spent 3 months in the USA this year from June - September. I opened an account with your bank on my final day of working at Camp Wekeela to hold the money I was payed and needed to cash the cheques before leaving Maine. When I opened the account I was not made aware that TD bank is only an East Coast bank, so when I finished my month of travelling in LA and went to close my account I was surprised to find no branches in California. Also being a foreigner, I was unaware that it was a public holiday on the day that I left, so I was unable to ring. I am now receiving letters in the mail, advising I am being charged fees for my account, and being overseas, I am finding it very hard to get in touch with someone to deal with this. Can someone please advise me on how I can close my account, as I do not have any plans to return to the USA anytime soon and do not want to have fees piling up on an account I have no use for.
Bronte, Melbourne, Australia
December 20, 2017 10:11:10 AM
In reply to Bronte, Melbourne, Australia
We apologize for any inconvenience you've experienced, Bronte, and we'd be glad to help.
The process for closing an account depends on your current account balance.
If your account has remaining funds, you are able to debit the funds from your account and request it to be closed. You can make this debit using your debit card, External Transfers or by writing a check.
To transfer to an account outside of TD Bank, you would first need to sign in to your online account here: http://go.td.com/1eaISlq. Once you're logged in, please follow the steps below to schedule a transfer:
1. Open Online Banking and access the Transfer tab.
2. Click on the Transfer to Accounts Outside TD Bank sub-tab.
3. Click Make a Transfer tab.
4. Enter the Amount to transfer.
5. Select the account to draw the money From using the dropdown.
6. Select the account to send the money To using the dropdown.
7. Use the Calendar tool to select the Send On date.
8. Click on the date to send the transfer. This date is shaded in green. The expected delivery date turns the font color to black.
9. Select the Delivery Speed] using the radio buttons.
10. Click Continue to schedule the transfer.
Once you notice that your balance reflects $0.00, our Banking Specialists are able to finalize your account over the phone or via secure message.
You can call us from outside the US by dialing 856-751-9000 or 215-569-0518 collect from a landline telephone. Be sure to use country code 011 when dialing.
Sending a secure message is simple too! Please sign in here: http://go.td.com/1eaISlq and select 'Send a secure message' located in the 'Message Center' on the left hand side of the page. For Mobile Banking, select the option to 'Contact Us' followed by 'Send a secure message'. Or using the Mobile Banking app, select 'Contact Us' followed by 'Send a secure message' after you log in.
If you are unable to debit the funds from your account, you can always mail a request to your TD Store to have the account closed and a check issued. You can mail a request with the following instructions:
▪Your account number(s)
▪Your request to close the account(s)
▪Your current address
For your security, please have the letter notarized and mailed to your Home Store. Your Home Store is the TD location you visited to open your account. If you need to double check their address, please visit here: http://go.td.com/1f9DSJR.
Keep in mind that our Specialists are only able to close an account that has a remaining balance or a $0.00 balance. If your account is overdrawn, you would first need to resolve the balance to zero prior to closing. This can be done by making a deposit. Since you've mentioned that you're currently overseas, you're able to use our Bank by Mail service of Mobile Deposit to resolve a balance.
To send a deposit in the mail, please use the following instructions below:
TD Bank, N.A. ME2-074-017 P.O. Box Number 1190 Lewiston, ME 04243
If you need to Fed-EX or UPS a mail in a Deposit to us, you can ship it to the address below:
TD Bank Bank by Mail 140 Mill Street Lewiston ME 04243
We recommend visiting https://go.td.com/2a9VVrp to learn more about our funds availability policy starting on page 40. Keep in mind that the TD Bank is not responsible for items lost in mail.
Here are some additional tips to consider prior to mailing your deposit:
- Cash should not be sent through the mail
- Payee of the check and name on deposit ticket should be the same
- Checks should be endorsed (and restricted "for deposit only")
- Multiple checks should be listed and a total of the deposit listed
- Enclose the deposit ticket, not the carbon copy
- If using a blank deposit ticket, please write the account number clearly
- Do not staple transactions
To make a Mobile Deposit from a smart phone, please follow the steps below:
1. From the Main Menu of the TD Bank Mobile Banking app, select Mobile Deposit, then Deposit a Check
2. Enter the amount of the check
3. Take a photo of the check using your mobile device
4. Select your account
5. Review and submit your deposit. You may wish to note the date on the front of the check and include the word Deposited, for your records.
Additionally, you may want to keep this for 14 days to ensure it has cleared your account. You are then welcome to destroy the check.
If you have any trouble or any questions about your account, we encourage you to reach a Banking Specialist using the contact methods mentioned above.
We hope this information helps, Bronte, and have a lovely day!
Megan K, Mount Laurel
December 20, 2017 10:11:23 AM